Do you like working independently?
In a job that supports nature appreciation and conservation?
And in an organization that supports personal growth and learning opportunities?
Join Our Awesome Team in the role of…
Outdoor Learning Orders Coordinator!
- Start Date: June 1 – Aug 1: Flexible based on timing of funding and candidate availability
- Open until filled: by submitting your resume & cover letter here: https://outdoorlearningstore.com/application
- Location: Invermere, British Columbia, in the homelands of the Ktunaxa and Secwepemc people (we are moving into a fancy new building soon!)
- Salary: $52,000/year ($25.00/hour) with opportunities for growth for a successful candidate
- Hours: 40 hours/week, M-F, 9am-5pm (required to be onsite for ½ hour paid lunch)
- Holidays: 2 weeks paid holidays that can be used as accrued
- Term: 1 year under the terms of the grant, with the intention to extend for the right candidate and with an extension of funding
- Benefits: This role is entitled to be enrolled into CBEEN’s Chamber Benefits Plan which includes st/lt disability and life insurance
- Funding Requirement: As a stipulation of the grant funding supporting this position, candidates must be 30 years or under and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or hold refugee status in Canada. Candidates cannot currently be a full-time permanent employee, and they must have graduated from a post-secondary program within the past 4 years.
- Housing: For those who would need to relocate to the Columbia Valley for this position, we may be able to assist with housing
The Outdoor Learning Store is a charitable social enterprise established in 2020 with headquarters in Invermere, British Columbia, in the homelands of the Ktunaxa and Secwepemc people. This beautiful and biodiverse region is situated at the headwaters of the Columbia River on the Western slopes of the Canadian Rockies.
The purpose of The Outdoor Learning Store is to provide easy access to excellent outdoor learning equipment and resources to schools and organizations, while providing financial support for our host charity, the Columbia Basin Environmental Education Network (CBEEN) and added capacity for our numerous Outdoor Learning Partners.
Our Outdoor Learning Store has become a leader in developing a community of outdoor learning organizations and leaders from across the country and beyond.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
This role will take the lead on getting orders out the door. These orders are filled with amazing resources and equipment that will transform the learning lives of educators and students alike. So we like to treat orders as gifts, packing them with love, and sending them out to thousands of grateful recipients (2000 orders & counting already!).
Drawing from our supply of over 100 different resource & equipment options, this position will ensure that orders are boxed and bagged beautifully, safely and efficiently to ensure they arrive with love and in great condition to the customers’ delight. Sustainable stickers and beautiful recycled bookmarks will be applied, and then gifts will be gently guided out the door. Wrapped in recycled, reused, and sustainably created packaging supplies, the ideal candidate will have a knack for Tetris and soft spot for sustainability.
Based on our current growth, we anticipate this role will handle upwards of 100 orders per week!
The ideal candidate…
- Is organized & efficient, and has a strong attention to detail
- Is tech savvy across many platforms
- Enjoys working independently, and as part of an awesome team
- Is friendly and has a solution-focused mindset
- Has excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Is able to see their role as it supports and relies on other roles in the organization
- Has graduated from a post-secondary institution within the previous 4 years, and is 30 years of age or under (funding requirement)
- Has experience with retail, shipping or inventory management or related areas
- Is physically able to stand for longer periods of time, can regularly lift packages weighing up to 20kg from floor to chest height, and can climb stairs carrying these packages (we encourage you to read more about risks and risk mitigation here)
- Has clear hand-writing, basic math skills and is proficient on a computer, including web-based sales platforms & spreadsheets
- Has a BC Driver’s License, and access to a personal vehicle for work-related travel, including driving orders to the Post Office at the end of each shift
- As a stipulation of the grant funding supporting this position, candidates must be 30 years or under and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or hold refugee status in Canada. Candidates cannot currently be a full-time permanent employee, and they must have graduated from a post-secondary program within the past 4 years.
- Is excited about supporting outdoor & environmental learning!
Specific duties include:
- putting together orders for shipping, ensuring that they are boxed and bagged beautifully, safely and efficiently
- taking the orders to the post office (in a personal vehicle) on a daily basis
- supporting the receiving of shipments of resources, and the organization and inventory tracking of resources both in our store and online
- communicating on the status of their orders, as well as supplementary opportunities for learning
- meeting regularly with other team members, and effectively communication key items with this team
- providing feedback on ways we can improve processes and practices at all levels
- attending professional learning and outreach opportunities as deemed beneficial to support growth
- other related duties that may arise
Accountability and Working Relationships:
The Outdoor Learning Store Orders Coordinator is an integral part of the team at CBEEN and will report to the Executive Director. You will have a supportive team to work with: https://outdoorlearningstore.com/about/our-awesome-team. Open communication and cooperation are essential to the success of the organization.
The Outdoor Learning Orders Coordinator is expected to abide by and act as a role model in relation to all rules, procedures and policies of Columbia Basin Environmental Education Network. The employee should review section 10 of CBEEN’s Policy and Procedures Manual. If the employee has questions or concerns about a policy, he or she is expected to speak with their supervisor for explanation, or to determine alternatives if applicable. Failure to abide by the policies and procedures may result in feedback to the employee or depending on the severity, probation or termination.
We are committed to providing training and development opportunities throughout the one-year term. At the middle and at the end of the work term, CBEEN will provide a performance review. We believe in paying our staff well and supporting them along the way. Our hope is for the right candidate this would turn into a lasting role.
Please contact us with any questions: email@example.com