Green Teacher has been around for over three and a half decades! Their story began in Wales in 1986, and then in early 1991 they found themselves in Canada, where they are a registered charity serving a global network.
What’s Green Teacher’s raison d’être? Their mission is to enhance environmental literacy among young learners by equipping both practicing and aspiring environmental educators in all educational contexts with innovative, relevant, evidence-based resources through their five channels:
- Quarterly digital magazine / resource hub: Each time the seasons change, a new issue of their digital magazine is published. Those with individual or discount bulk subscriptions (schools, boards/districts, faculties of ed., organizations) gain access to each new issue as well as their growing archive of 500+ vetted, tested, ready-to-use activities, lessons, and articles. (See a one-minute video tour of our resource hub here).
2. Books: Each of the 13 books they’ve produced serves as an educator’s toolkit full of ready-to-use activities and lessons. They have Teaching Kids About Climate Change and Teaching Teens About Climate Change, available at the Non-profit Outdoor Learning Store and have newly launched the:
Teaching Green Series of educator resource books!
- Teaching Green: The Elementary Years
- Teaching Green: The Middle Years
- Teaching Green: The High School Years
These books provide a wealth of teacher-tested ideas contributed by educators from across North America, covering a wide spectrum of environmental topics and presenting a large diversity of practical projects and learning strategies.
3. Podcast: Talking with Green Teachers: Their fast-growing podcast (heard on six continents and over 80 countries!) is where they discuss the big questions in outdoor/environmental education with innovators from this diverse field. They also offer the Earthy Chats Podcast in partnership with us (the Non-profit Outdoor Learning Store!) Freely subscribe to both on your favourite podcast app.
4. Webinars: Their fall and winter/spring webinar series include virtual presentations, workshops, and live discussions. Each webinar is completely free. They frequently offer webinars in partnership with us at the Non-profit Outdoor Learning Store including this upcoming workshop that dives deep into the new resource:
Teaching Green in the Elementary Years: Free Virtual Workshop!
We invite you to join us with Green Teacher and some of the contributors to Teaching Green: The Elementary Years for a FREE virtual workshop on November 15th!
5. Professional development and consulting: Green Teacher would be happy to help your school, board/district, faculty of ed., or organization enhance outdoor and environmental education through customized consulting and/or professional development.
They are always on the lookout for partnerships. If engaging with one or more of our their channels could help you leverage the important work that you’re doing, drop them a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for helping us further realize our vision of ensuring that each successive generation of young learners is more environmentally literate than the last.