This kit includes 8 curated books accompanied by resources & equipment to support a K-7 soil inquiry outdoors!
This kit includes book specific lesson sparks, guiding questions, and curricular connections for playful explorations of soil in your school garden or school yard. It supports student learning across the curriculum, with a specific focus on how soil is different from dirt, and the importance of soil in our daily lives.
This kit was curated and created by teachers Megan Zeni and Sarah Regan. Megan and Sarah are job share partners teaching entirely outdoors in a K-7 garden classroom. Megan shares their experiences of outdoor play and learning on Instagram and Twitter at @roomtoplay.
Reduced Shipping Prices: Shipping prices have been lowered significantly since launching this kit – if you abandoned your order because of the high price, please try again! 🙂
This kit includes:
Books in this kit:
- What’s Sprouting in my Trash by Ester Porter
- The Street Beneath My Feet by Charlotte Guillain and Yuval Zommer
- Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt by Kate Messner
- My Mud Kitchen is Rad by Allison Bakkum
- Compost Stew: An A-Z Recipe for Earth by Mary McKenna Siddals
- Carl and the Meaning of Life by Deborah Freedman
- Exploring Soils: A Hidden World Underground by Samantha Grover
- Dirt: The Scoop on Soil by Natalie Rosinsky
If you already have all of the equipment, you can order the Soil Book Set.
Additional supplementary resources not included, but can be ordered separately include:
- FoodCycler for Schools
- The School Garden Curriculum: An Integrated K-8 Guide
- Looking Closely Outdoor Learning Kit
100% of the proceeds go back to non-profit outdoor learning initiatives, and a portion of this will go directly to the development of more great kits like this!